Commemorating Baba Banda Singh Bahadur
During discussions held at the General Body Meeting of The Institute of Sikh Studies on 7th July, 2009 it was felt that so far the Panth had not paid adequate attention to the contributions of Baba Banda Singh Bahadur. It was decided that the April-June 2010 issue of the AOSS (coinciding with the 294th death anniversary of the great Sikh warrior) would be dedicated to Baba Banda Singh Bahadur.
It was also decided that the General Body Meeting of the IOSS to be held on 7th August, 2009 would be held at Chappar Chiri. Consequently, the General Body Meeting on August 07, 2009 was held in the Guru Nanak Public School, Chappar Chiri. After the meeting all the members were escorted to the site of the battle by the Ex-Sarpanch of Chappar Chiri Khurd, S Jora Singh. During discussions, all the participants elaborated there views for preserving this site in the memory of Baba Banda Singh Bahadur and the battle of Chappar Chiri. The views ranged from building a theme park at the site to naming of the proposed airport after Baba Banda Singh Bahadur. In this context it was decided that a larger meeting involving other organisations/individuals be held on 11th August 2009 at the Kendri Sri Guru Singh Sabha office, Sector 28, C, Chandigarh.
Consequent upon the deliberations in the coordinative conclave of 11th August 2009 organized by the Institute of Sikh Studies, a Coordination Committee was set up comprising of:
- Bibi Baljit Kaur, Vice-President, Institute of Sikh Studies/Gen Secy Kendriya Singh Sabha,CHD, as Chairperson
- Giani Hirendar Singh, President: Kendriya Singh Sabha, CHD;
- Dr. Gurbakhsh Singh, Member IOSS and Trustee: Kalgidhar Trust:Baru Sahib
- Lt Gen Kartar Singh Gill PVSM, CEO, International Sikh Confederation.
- Dr Gurbax Singh Shergill, Chairman, Heritage and Education Foundation,CHD
- S Jora Singh, Ex-Sarpanch of Chappar Chiri Khurd
- Sarpanch of Chappar Chiri Kalan
- S Sadhu Singh, member, IOSS
- Dr Surinder Singh, Author of the book, Baba Banda Singh Bahadur
- S Gurpreet Singh, Secretary, Institute of Sikh Studies/Gen. Secy, KendriyaSingh Sabha, CHD, as Member Secretary
The terms of reference for the committee, inter alia, are:
- To ensure coordination amongst the organizations and institutions involved in submission of proposals/memoranda etc. to the Punjab Government with regards to the Memorial;To arrive at a consensus with regards to the various components of the Memorial for promoting Heritage Tourism;
- To approach the Punjab Government and its concerned agencies for the allocation of adequate land and financial resources and to vigorously pursue the matter from time to time.
- To arouse the awareness as regards the importance of the Memorial and enlist the enthusiastic support of the Panchayats and the residents of the surrounding areas;
- To work out concrete proposals for the erection and maintenance of the Memorial enlisting the respective responsibilities of the State Govt. and of the NGO/Trust considered necessary for the purpose and undertake negotiations with the Punjab Government for final decisions.
- To consider any other issue relevant to the setting up of the Memorial;
The Committee would associate scholars, architects, and dedicated individuals of other disciplines who may be helpful in the accomplishment of its tasks.
Those interested in contributing articles for the special April-June 2010 issue of the AOSS or working in conjunction with the Baba Banda Singh Bahadur memorial committee may write to firstname.lastname@example.org . Feedback and suggestions are most welcome.
back to home
ęCopyright Institute of Sikh Studies,
2009, All rights reserved.